TMJ disorders have many signs and symptoms. Some of the most common are:
- Pain in or around the ear, sometimes spreading to the face.
- Tenderness of the jaw muscles.
- Clicking or popping noise when one opens or closes the mouth.
- Difficulty in opening one’s mouth.
- Jaws that “get stuck”, “lock”, or “go out.”
- Pain brought on by yawning, chewing, or opening the mouth widely.
- Certain types of headaches or neck aches.
Dr. Hucklebridge can recommend a course of TMJ treatments by taking a complete history, conducting a clinical examination and by taking appropriate X-rays or other diagnostic tests. So the causes of your TMJ disorder can be identified, proper diagnosis is an important step before treatment. It can save time and money by ensuring you receive the appropriate treatment for your particular problem.
Treatments for TMJ disorders vary, based on your individual diagnosis. Dr. Hucklebridge may recommend a treatment involving a series of phases. This step-by-step plan is preferable because only minor corrective treatment may be needed.
If pain and other symptoms persist, a more involved treatment may be considered. Although the specific therapy recommended for you may not be described below, Dr. Hucklebridge may consider the following:
- Trying to eliminate muscle spasm and pain by applying moist heat or prescribing medication such as muscle relaxants, analgesics or anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Eliminating some of the harmful effects of clenching or grinding the teeth by wearing bite plates or mouthguards.
- Teaching relaxation techniques to help control muscle tension in the jaw.
- Training or counseling to help eliminate stress, tooth grinding or clenching.
Finally, when the jaw joints are affected and other TMJ treatments have been unsuccessful, jaw joint surgery may be recommended.
As one of the most experienced cosmetic dentists in Plano, Dr. John M. Hucklebridge offers his patients an extensive range of advanced cosmetic, restorative and general dentistry treatments. Renowned as a talented porcelain veneers and dental implants specialist, he also offers Invisalign clear orthodontics. In addition, Dr. John M. Hucklebridge performs tooth whitening – a treatment that can significantly lighten patients? teeth in a single office visit.