Bleeding is never a sign of good health. Instead, it’s an inflammatory response that alerts you when your body is trying to recover from some form of trauma. It’s a sign that something is wrong. Identifying the cause of the bleeding and taking steps to resolve the issue can prevent the problem from becoming more advanced.
Discussing bleeding as well as your other symptoms with your dentist should be the first step towards resolving the problem. There are a number of factors that could contribute to the presence of bleeding during brushing:
· Gum disease (even the very earliest stages of gum disease can cause inflammation and bleeding, symptoms may occur with or without pain)
· Dry mouth ( when the gums around the front teeth are dry due to open-mouth breathing, medications, or health conditions, you may notice bleeding and constant inflammation that becomes more aggravated during brushing)
· Incorrect Brushing Technique (aggressive brushing and/or hard toothbrush bristles can cause considerable and irreversible damage to both your gums and teeth)
· Hormonal changes (pregnancy, menstruation, menopause, and other changes in hormone levels can cause sensitivity and bleeding and tenderness even with careful brushing and flossing)
· Nutritional deficiencies/ Poor health (many underlying health conditions can affect the way that the body responds to plaque bacteria and other irritants, triggering excessive redness and bleeding)
Although there are many treatable causes for bleeding gums, you should never ignore or dismiss your symptoms. Sometimes bleeding gums are a signal of an underlying, uncontrolled, or undiagnosed health condition. Seeking a professional dental evaluation as soon as possible can confirm the source of the bleeding and resolve a potentially harmful condition. Your condition may require further dental care, a change in your homecare habits, or a consultation with your physician.
If you have noticed bleeding gums or any other abnormal symptoms, visit the office of Dr. John M. Hucklebridge to schedule your professional dental exam.